03 741 1039
027 276 1897
PO Box 9344
I accept instructions across a range of dispute work. I have a mixed background of experience including as a senior crown prosecutor and in a senior role in a national firms litigation team.
My particular litigation interests are general civil and commercial, professional negligence and discipline, employment law, and regulatory criminal matters (particularly health and safety and transport/aviation).
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for plaintiffs and defendants in negligence claims in the High Court.
- Director and shareholder trial in the High Court.
- Urgent ex parte injunction for a multi-national company to halt the threatened actions of a departed employee.
- Acting for Standards Committees and the New Zealand Law Society in tribunal prosecutions, appeals and judicial review proceedings through to the Supreme Court.
- Undertaking independent investigations in employment and company disputes.
- Acting in contentious coroner’s inquests.
- Representing employers and employees in employment litigation.
- Acting as prosecutor in a private prosecution of the New Zealand Defence Force of a Health and Safety charge.
- Appeal to the High Court from a health and safety sentencing.
- Representing employers and employees in WorkSafe investigations.
- Representing various professionals in conduct investigations and disciplinary proceedings.
Reported or notable decisions:
- Lawyers Disciplinary Tribunal – Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (leave) McGuire SC McGuire CA
- McRaeway Group Limited v Lane Neave (solicitors negligence summary judgment) MGL v Lane Neave
- Te Mania Livestock Limited litigation (lengthy Companies Act/property law trial) TML
- Lim v Meadow Mushrooms Ltd (2015) 10 NZELC 79-060 Lim v MM
- Jones v WorkSafe New Zealand (2015) 12 NZELR 704 Jones
- Creeggan v New Zealand Defence Force (private HSE prosecution) NZDF
- Queenstown Lakes District Licensing Inspector v Turnbull Group Ltd  NZAR 554 Turnbull
- CH & DL Properties Ltd v Christchurch District Licensing Agency (2010) 20 PRNZ 680 CH DL CH DL 1
- Civil Aviation Authority v Griffiths  DCR 169 CAA
Memberships and appointments:
- Senior Crown Prosecutor.
- Amicus Curiae.
- Litigation Skills faculty.
- Lecturer, University of Canterbury law school, employment law paper.
- Litigation Committee, NZLS Canterbury-Westland branch.
- Health and Safety Committee, ADLSI.
- Volunteer lawyer, Community Law Canterbury.
Outside of work Tim enjoys spending time with his young family and dogs, mountain biking, skiing, and boating.