027 276 1897
PO Box 9344
I was admitted in 2004. Before joining the bar in 2015, I conducted a range of litigation as a Crown Prosecutor and in a senior role with a national firms litigation team.
My particular litigation interests are general civil and commercial, professional negligence and discipline, employment law, and regulatory criminal matters (particularly health and safety and transport/aviation). I also continue to appear in some traditional criminal litigation.
I have conducted dozens of trials and appeals as lead counsel across all of these jurisdictions. I have acted for plaintiffs and defendants, prosecution and defence, employer and employee, appellants and respondents, and independently as amicus curiae and standby counsel in civil and criminal courts.
I also regularly undertake independent investigations in workplaces and governance situations.
Reported or notable decisions
- Wiremu v Ashby  NZHC 558 (for plaintiff, successful defamation trial, every statutory defence raised by defendant). Wiremu v Ashby
- Stumpmaster v WorkSafe NZ  3 NZLR 881, (2018) 15 NZELR 1100 (for appellant, first/guideline sentencing appeal under new Health and Safety act, full court). Stumpmaster v Worksafe New Zealand
- NZTA v Gabani  DCR 502 (for defendant, application of special plea of previous conviction against a previous infringement).Gabani DCR
- WorkSafe NZ v Rangiora Carpets Limited  DCR 276 (for defendant, second sentencing under new HS act, attempts at re-banding). Rangiora
- McGuire v Secretary for Justice  NZSC 116 (2018) 24 PRNZ 350 (as second counsel for NZ Bar association, whether lay litigants, lawyer lay litigants and in house counsel should receive costs awards in civil proceedings) McGuire SC
- Lyttelton Port Company Limited v Arthurs (2018) 15 NZELR 624 (for plaintiff, medical incapacity termination issues). Lyttelton Port Co Ltd v Arthurs
- Lawyers Disciplinary Tribunal – Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (for NZLS, appeal and leave) McGuire SC McGuire CA
- McRaeway Group Limited v Lane Neave (for plaintiff, solicitors negligence summary judgment) MGL v Lane Neave
- Te Mania Livestock Limited (lengthy Companies Act/property law trial)  NZCCLR 3 TML
- Lim v Meadow Mushrooms Ltd (2015) 10 NZELC 79-060 (for employer, approach to Challenges) Lim
- Jones v WorkSafe New Zealand (2015) 12 NZELR 704 (for appellant, relevance of WorkSafe guidelines) Jones v Worksafe New Zealand
- Creeggan v New Zealand Defence Force (for private prosecutor, private HSE prosecution) NZDF
- Queenstown Lakes District Licensing Inspector v Turnbull Group Ltd  NZAR 554 (for Inspector, pont of law appeal) Queenstown Lakes District Licensing Agency Inspector v Turnbull Group Ltd
- CH & DL Properties Ltd v Christchurch District Licensing Agency (2010) 20 PRNZ 680 (for Inspector, fresh evidence on point of law appeal) CH DL
- Civil Aviation Authority v Griffiths  DCR 169 (for CAA, dishonesty tests) Civil Aviation Authority v Griffiths
Current or previous memberships and appointments:
- Amicus Curiae and standby counsel in civil and criminal courts.
- Litigation Skills faculty.
- Lecturer, University of Canterbury law school, employment law paper.
- Litigation Committee, NZLS Canterbury-Westland branch.
- Health and Safety Committee, ADLSI.
- Volunteer lawyer, Community Law Canterbury.
- Senior Crown Prosecutor.
- Level 4 provider Legal Services Agency.
Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my young family and dogs, mountain biking, skiing, boating and travelling.