027 276 1897
PO Box 9344
I was admitted in 2004. As a solicitor I have practised across a range of litigation disciplines in a national firm and as a Crown prosecutor. I joined the bar in 2015.
The work I like to do
My litigation interests are general civil and commercial, professional negligence and discipline, employment law, and regulatory criminal matters (particularly health and safety and transport/aviation). I also continue to appear in jury trial/Crimes Act criminal litigation.
I have conducted dozens of trials and appeals as lead counsel across all of these jurisdictions. I have acted for plaintiffs and defendants, prosecution and defence, employers and employees, and appellants and respondents.
I act for clients from one off individuals to listed companies and large insurers.
I also regularly undertake independent work as amicus curiae, counsel assisting and standby counsel in civil, criminal and Coroners courts. This also extends to independent inquiries and investigations in workplaces and governance situations.
- Fraser v Tower Insurance Limited  NZHC 2768 (as amicus curiae, costs jurisdiction of High Court after transfer to Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal). Fraser
- Waitaki District Council v Vickers  NZHC 1723 (as amicus curiae, powers of District Court in a Dog Control Act appeal). Vickers
- A C Rhodes Ltd v Bush Inn Shopping Centre Ltd.  NZHC 877 (easement breaches, injunction). Bush Inn
- Wiremu v Ashby  NZHC 558 (for plaintiff, successful defamation trial, every statutory defence raised by defendant). Wiremu v Ashby
- McGuire v Secretary for Justice  NZSC 116,  1 NZLR 335, (2018) 24 PRNZ 350 (as second counsel for NZ Bar association, whether lay litigants, lawyer lay litigants and in house counsel should receive costs awards in civil proceedings). McGuire SC
- McRaeway Group Limited v Lane Neave  NZHC 1138 (for plaintiff, solicitors negligence summary judgment). MGL v Lane Neave
- Te Mania Livestock Limited  NZCCLR 3 (lengthy Companies Act/property law trial). TML
- Queenstown Lakes District Licensing Inspector v Turnbull Group Ltd  NZAR 554 (for Inspector, point of law appeal). Queenstown Lakes District Licensing Agency Inspector v Turnbull Group Ltd
- CH & DL Properties Ltd v Christchurch District Licensing Agency (2010) 20 PRNZ 680 (for Inspector, fresh evidence on point of law appeal). CH DL
- McGuire v New Zealand Law Society  NZCA 569 (for NZLS, procedures of Disciplinary Tribunal). McGuire SC McGuire CA
- Stumpmaster v WorkSafe NZ  3 NZLR 881, (2018) 15 NZELR 1100 (for appellant, first/guideline sentencing appeal under new Health and Safety act, full court). Stumpmaster v Worksafe New Zealand
- NZTA v Gabani  DCR 502 (for defendant, application of special plea of previous conviction against a previous infringement).Gabani DCR
- WorkSafe NZ v Rangiora Carpets Limited  DCR 276 (for defendant, second sentencing under new HS act, attempts at re-banding). Rangiora
- Jones v WorkSafe New Zealand (2015) 12 NZELR 704 (for appellant, relevance of WorkSafe guidelines). Jones v Worksafe New Zealand
- Creeggan v New Zealand Defence Force (for private prosecutor, private HSE prosecution). NZDF
- Civil Aviation Authority v Griffiths  DCR 169 (for CAA, dishonesty tests). Civil Aviation Authority v Griffiths
- Lyttelton Port Company Limited v Pender  NZEmpC 86 (for plaintiff, CEA interpretation, good faith, promotion expectations, admissibility of evidence). Pender
- Lyttelton Port Company Limited v Arthurs (2018) 15 NZELR 624 (for plaintiff, medical incapacity termination issues). Lyttelton Port Co Ltd v Arthurs
- Lim v Meadow Mushrooms Ltd (2015) 10 NZELC 79-060 (for defendant, approach to Challenges). Lim
Current or previous memberships and appointments:
- Amicus Curiae and standby counsel in civil, criminal and Coroners courts.
- Litigation Skills faculty.
- Lecturer, University of Canterbury law school, employment law paper.
- Litigation Committee, NZLS Canterbury-Westland branch.
- Health and Safety Committee, ADLSI.
- Volunteer lawyer, Community Law Canterbury.
- Senior Crown Prosecutor.
- Level 4 provider Legal Services Agency.
Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my young family and dogs, mountain biking, skiing, boating and travelling.