03 260 3100
021 499 231
PO Box 9344
Mark studied at Canterbury and Cambridge Universities before lecturing in company and banking law at the University of Canterbury for four years.
Mark went into legal practice in 1985, with Weston Ward & Lascelles, some partners of which left to form Brookman Stock (a boutique commercial firm) in 1986.
Brookman Stock merged with Buddle Findlay in 1989 and Mark was a partner in the Christchurch office of Buddle Findlay for 25 years before joining the Bar as a commercial barrister at the beginning of 2015.
Mark specialises in company, banking, commercial and insolvency law, with particular emphasis on the following areas:
- Corporate structuring
- Corporate governance
- Corporate regulatory compliance, including Companies Act, Financial Markets Conduct Act, NZX Listing Rules and Takeovers Code;
- Shareholder disputes
- Corporate financing (including complex and bespoke structured financing)
- Banking law matters (including credit recovery)
- Commercial contract interpretation and dispute resolution
- Joint ventures
- Company and individual insolvency issues
- Public issues of securities
- Corporate Trusts
Major examples of Mark’s work in recent years include:
- Advising Buller Electricity Limited on its full takeover offer for Pulse Energy Limited
- Advising Southland Building Society on its bank registration
- Advice to Nelson Building Society and other building societies on prospectuses, compliance, and governance issues
- Prospectus and compliance advice to a number of finance companies and one moratorium process for a finance company
- Advising Lyttelton Port Company Limited on the full takeover by Christchurch City Holdings Limited
- Advising several forex dealing companies on statutory compliance issues
- Advising Safe Kiwi (New Zealand) Limited on set up of NZ Real Estate Trust (independent escrow service for real estate transactions);
- Governance advice to Development West Coast (previously West Coast Development Trust);
- Compliance advice to several electricity distribution companies (including Buller Electricity Limited, Alpine Energy Limited and OtagoNet Joint Venture);
- Acting for Wools of New Zealand Limited on public share offer
- Devised corporate structure for Central Plains Irrigation Scheme
- Advised North Otago Irrigation Company Limited on public share issue in 2014
- Advising Hunter Down Irrigation Limited on capital raising and structuring matters
Mark also holds governance appointments. He is a director of Lifetime Group Limited and Infinity Investment Group Holdings Limited and is an independent member of the Christchurch City Council Audit & Risk Management Committee. From 2008 – 2016, Mark was a director of Diligent Corporation Limited, a New York-based, NZX-listed company.
Mark is a Chartered Member of the Institute of Directors.
Mark is available to act as an arbitrator in disputes about companies, trusts and commercial contracts and he is an Associate of the Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of NZ.
Mark is also involved in the not-for-profit sector as a trustee of the Volunteer Army Foundation.