(03) 339 2207
0221 77 1027
Level 11, Anthony Harper Tower
62 Worcester Boulevard
PO Box 44
Christchurch, New Zealand
(03) 595 2207
Jai graduated with Honours from Canterbury University in 1997. He is qualified in New Zealand in New South Wales, Australia. He has worked in Magic Circle firms in London, an Australian national firm in Sydney, and both national and boutique litigation firms in New Zealand.
Jai has been at the independent bar since 2011. During that time, he has appeared as junior counsel in the Supreme Court and lead counsel in the Court of Appeal, High Court, District Court, various Tribunals and arbitrations. Jai has also been appointed amicus curiae by the High Court.
Jai has a broad practice in civil and commercial litigation specialising in contract and commercial disputes, Companies Act matters, defamation, estate and trust matters, insurance, insolvency, professional negligence, relationship property, and tort.
RECENT CASES (LAST TWO YEARS)
- Hyndman v Walker –  NZCA 25 (privacy); Decision on application for leave to the Supreme Court pending
- Young v Crown –  NZHC 463 (nuisance). On appeal
- Teece v Veint –  NZHC 409 (successful caveat application)
- Teece v Veint –  NZHC 3501 (successful opposition to urgent application to rescind interim orders).
- Willigers v Churchill Fishing International Limited  NZHC 2212 (successful opposition for urgent stay of possession)
- Willigers v Churchill Fishing International Limited  NZDC 15372 (successful dismissal of appeal)
- Kkeshav International Limited v Heaton Holdings Limited  NZHC 1513 (successful opposition to attempt to set aside statutory demand)
- David Ian Henderson v Robert Bruce Walker  NZHC 3020 (successful breach of privacy and confidence claim)
- GP 96 Limited v FM Custodians Limited and PVG Securities Limited  NZHC 1183 (injunction and removal of caveat proceedings)
- Xu v IAG  NZSC 68;  NZCA 149;  NZHC 1964 (dispute relating to the rights of the owner of an assignment of an insurance policy, unsuccessful (3-2))
- Gavin v Powell and Dorrance  NZHC 1277 (successful application for dismissal of solicitors for conflict)
- Young v Attorney General  NZHC 993 (successful opposition to strike out application by the Crown on a nuisance case arising out of the Canterbury earthquakes)
- Chapman-Cohen v Wisnewski  NZFC 7231 (successful Family Protection claim)
- CIR v Livingspace Properties Limited (in liquidation and receivership)  NZHC 711 (successful applications relating to Companies Act disputes)
- Greenfields Internet Limited v Rural Networks South Island Limited  NZHC 465;  NZHC 504;  NZHC 645 (a mixture of success in injunction proceedings)
- Mediaworks TV Ltd & Ors v Staples and Claims Resolution Service Limited  NZCA 133 (opposition of appeal of HC decision on defamation pleadings issues)
- Tomanovich Holdings Limited v Gibbston Community Water Company 2014 Limited  NZCA 7 (successful opposition to strike out application)