03 595 2108
Level 11, Anthony Harper Tower
62 Worcester Boulevard
PO Box 44
Christchurch, New Zealand
03 595 2107
I graduated from the University of Canterbury and commenced practice at the independent bar shortly after admission in late 2015. I started as an employed barrister with Jai Moss, and joined Canterbury Chambers with Jai in May 2021.
I have a broad civil and commercial litigation practice, and am regularly instructed on contract disputes, tort claims, debt recovery proceedings and insolvency matters. I have appeared as counsel in the Court of Appeal, High Court, District Court, and various tribunals.
I have particular experience in insurance litigation arising from the Canterbury Earthquakes, having begun my career working almost exclusively in this area. I have acted for a large number of residential and commercial property owners and have appeared in dozens of negotiations, mediations and judicial settlement conferences. My experience spans the full breadth of earthquake-related issues, from original claims against the Earthquake Commission and various insurers to defective repair cases (including claims against builders and project managers) and EQC on-sold claims.
My recent work/experience includes:
- acting (as junior counsel) for a defendant company in an ongoing class action involving a number of hearings in the High Court and Court of Appeal since 2018;
- acting for an engineer on successful appeals to the Chartered Professional Engineers Council (as lead counsel) and the District Court (as sole counsel);
- appearing (as junior counsel) in 5-day trial in the High Court successfully defending claims of breach of contract, misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty;
- acting for and advising several companies navigating COVID-19 business debt hibernation;
- acting for an Auckland property owner in High Court proceedings against the Earthquake Commission for damage caused by a series of landslips;
- volunteering as a judge at the 2021 University of Canterbury Witness Examination and Mooting competitions.
Outside of work, I enjoy travelling, camping, skiing, and spending time with my wife and our dog Alfie. I am also a dedicated Vipassanā meditator.