021 0254 6346
PO Box 44
David was admitted to the bar in 1997. Before returning to Christchurch and joining the independent bar David was litigation partner at leading South Island provincial law firm Berry & Co.
He has a wide range of litigation experience having worked as a Crown Prosecutor (for the Crown Solicitor at Christchurch), a government legal adviser (to the Treasury Solicitor’s Department, London) and as a general commercial and insurance litigator for national New Zealand and City of London law firms.
David’s current litigation practice is wide-ranging and includes liquor licensing, criminal, employment, resource management, commercial and insurance litigation instructions.
David’s recent experience includes:
- Testamentary Promises, Family Protection & Relationship Property claims
- Construction Contracts Act disputes and arbitration
- Export fruit industry disputes and arbitration
- Advising insurers on professional indemnity and public liability claims
- Conducting leaky home claims on behalf of owners or defendants in the Weathertight Homes Tribunal, District and High Courts
- Advising employers on employee agreements, investigation and disciplinary meetings and processes, mediations and personal grievances
- Advising New Zealand and UK regulators in areas such as postal services, transport and corporate regulatory matters
- Conducting defended Judge alone and jury trials in the District and High Courts
- Appearing as counsel at sports disciplinary hearings
- Advising dairy industry participants on sharemilking agreements;
- Advising farmers and Irrigators on resource management issues and processes, and
- Advising hospitality industry members on all aspects of liquor licensing law including defended applications for suspension or cancellation and appeals
David is also a member of the Judicial Control Authority for racing and the Hospitality Association of New Zealand (HANZ).